Heritage buildings are structures that were built hundreds of years ago, and despite the presence of natural calamities and wars, they still standing in the present day. Extreme care should be given to these structures because they are delicate. Government agencies who are overseeing heritage structures are seeking additional funding from private individuals to strengthen them. They are also responsible for saving the budget for the restoration and the maintenance of these structures. Heritage buildings are required to be strengthened because these structures are highly prone to earthquake damage. Several government bodies around the world are also seeking the assistance from professionals who can renovate and restore heritage buildings to their former glory, and using modern architectural techniques to ensure that these buildings will resist any damage from a natural disaster. Professionals who are doing renovation and restoration work have to remember five major points when they are being tasked of taking care of a heritage building, and they are strictly implementing the rules to avoid damaging the structure.
View this post on Instagram
No one will like this post more than me (I’m totally going to hit like on my own post this time!) because after 98 weekends we have FINALLY finished painting all our gutters & fascias white. 🎉 We grossly underestimated what this job would take, I thought maybe 4 weekends tops 😣🤦🏻♀️. See how exhausted I am on the couch? Haha that’s a joke, my husband did ALL the work. (@thewolfpackmrs took that pretty pic.) I’ve been reading Placemaker by @christiepurifoy & her words talking of renovating her own 100 year old farmhouse are ringing SO TRUE for me…. “I did not ask myself what it might require of me to belong to a place where such beauty could flourish, only whether it might be possible for such beauty to belong to me.” SO MUCH WISDOM! I might have spent the most part of 8 months cooped up in this house still medically unable to drive but boy have I learnt a lot. Next project – back of house/ backyard. #neverstoplearning #heritagelisted #heritagerenovation
- The first thing that the professional renovators and restorers would do is to conduct a research about the building. They need to get information like when it was built, and what materials were used to build the structure. The style also depends on the time period, and it is beneficial to the professional renovators and restorers in identifying the heritage building’s style so that they easily create a plan for their project. The internet is a great source of information, especially when it comes to the architectural styles of historical buildings. Blueprints are also uploaded online, helping with renovation projects around the world. Other plans are locked away in safety, using private storage services like Thornbury Storage to protect it from theft and other damaging elements.
- After the research has been conducted, the professional renovators and restorers would work with the local government to understand their building regulation and restriction. They would also study the laws concerning the local government’s regulations when it comes to the preservation of these structures. Working with the local government would greatly reduce the time, effort, and money needed to complete the project. Every city around the world has a dedicated department who are tasked to oversee heritage structures, and if you would like to proceed in renovating and restoring one of these antique buildings, make sure to coordinate with them and lay out your plan in detail.
- If the department responsible for heritage building restoration agreed with your proposal, the next step would be looking for individuals or foundations that are willing to shell out a fair amount for the project. There are many options when securing funding, and one of the most common techniques in today’s world would be crowdsourcing, wherein the project information is being posted online hoping for the public to fund it using platforms like GoFundMe. Another option is to seek help from the wealthiest business people and persuading them to help out. Government agencies can also help in the restoration process, and try approaching them if they can give you additional funding. The funding can be secured inside a bank, or through the Thornbury Storage, which provides highly-secured storage services to their clients. The Thornbury Storage has built a positive reputation through the years, and they are among the most trusted storage services companies in Bristol, United Kingdom.
- After the funds have been collected, proceed to make the rendered façade of the building. Using 3D-rendering software, imagine how the structure would look like after the renovation process has been completed. Professional renovators and restorers are seeking help from computer experts who are adept in using these systems, and they are creating a beautifully rendered image of the structure after it has been completed. Architects and engineers can also create a 3D-render of the project and it should be presented to those who have donated the fund. In the past, 3D miniature buildings are being presented to the public to give them an impression of the size of the project.
- Finally, restorers should know how to reuse and recycle. When renovating the building, all of the important artifacts or items that are found inside should be locked away in a safe place, like the Thornbury Storage. That way, the important artifacts would not be stolen or damaged during the renovation process. Professional renovators and restorers will then proceed in renovating the building by collecting and recycling the materials that were used in the construction of the heritage structure. The process would last for months and even years, and the end result is worth it.