Australian art enthusiasts who don’t have enough wall space to display the artwork in their collections can benefit from utilising Self Storage in Brunswick East from StoreLocal Northcote. However, artwork is usually fragile, so there are certain things you need to do to ensure your pieces remain protected. Follow these tips to keep your artwork in perfect condition.
Why store artwork?
With access to a storage unit, you’re not limited by wall space. You can purchase or create as many pieces as you like. These artworks can be swapped in and out of displays at your home or in your business at any time. This gives you the opportunity to change up the look and feel of certain areas without constantly purchasing and selling pieces of art.
Storage in Brunswick East from StoreLocal Northcote is a completely secure facility, with 24/7 CCTV video surveillance cameras and plenty of other security methods in place. There’s no reason to worry about the safety of your artwork when it’s kept inside your secure storage unit. The high-security measures in place most likely make your storage unit more secure than your home or workplace.
If you want your artwork to remain in good condition, make sure you follow these storage tips.
- If you’re storing any sculptures, you’ll need to ensure you use sturdy boxes and plenty of protective material, such as bubble wrap or packing peanuts. Use a fine brush to remove any dust and clean the sculpture.
- Wash your pottery with mildly warm, soapy water. Make sure these items are thoroughly dried before storage. Pottery can be kept well in your Brunswick East Self Storage as it should be stored out of direct sunlight to prevent the clay and terracotta from becoming brittle.
- Use acid-free paper to wrap your pottery and paintings. Cover each side with this paper, and wrap the piece in cardboard. This will stop the cardboard from sticking to the artwork.
- Use plastic foam or bubble wrap to pad your artwork, especially during transit. Avoid using old newspapers and packing peanuts, as these materials provide less protection and can even damage your artwork.
- Avoid stacking your artwork on top of each other inside your storage unit. Try and store canvases in an upright position, or take advantage of a purpose built artwork storage rack.
When you’re looking for some extra space for your collection of artworks, contact the team at StoreLocal Northcote.